CENTRAL SERVICES UNIVERSITY LIBRARY
Who we are
The University of Otago is New Zealand’s oldest university with a strong record in research and research informed teaching. The University and its Library operates in an environment characterised by constant change in higher education, both nationally and globally and by the need to accommodate both traditional and innovative modes of scholarly communication.
The Bindery is part of Central Services, which is responsible for a number of the Library’s specialist services including, reprographic services, facilities planning and stock management, policy, planning and evaluation services, “front of house” client services, and relationship management with service providers, both within the University and external.
As the Bindery Assistant, you will support the preservation and conservation of the Library Resources using best practice methods of binding and encapsulation to preserve sensitive materials in original condition.
Your responsibilities will include:
• preparation of books and periodicals for full binding;
• undertaking alternative forms of binding;
• preservation of sensitive materials in original condition; and
• maintaining and cleaning equipment.
Your Skills and Experience
• NCEA Level 2 or equivalent.
• Good manual dexterity.
• Experience with hand binding techniques.
• An understanding of the properties of glues and substrates used in binding.
• Experience and competence in using information technology.
• The ability to work with a high degree of speed and accuracy.
This full-time, permanent position offers an exciting opportunity to someone with excellent manual dexterity skills and an interest in learning preservation techniques.
For confidential enquiries, please contact Don Tobin - Foreman Binder, firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Sunday, 2 December 2018.