Education and Training
Professional Qualifications & Training
- Victoria University of Wellington School of Information Management
- Open Polytechnic of New Zealand
The Open Polytechnic of New Zealand offers the only undergraduate archives and records education in New Zealand. Students may either enrol in a Level 6 Diploma in Records and Information Management or complete a Bachelor of Applied Science. Courses are offered each year in semesters 1 and 2.
- Curtin University of Technology Graduate Diploma in Records Management and Archives
- Monash University
- Edith Cowan University
- RMIT University
- The Archivist's Toolkit. Archives Association of British Columbia. 2004.
- The World Bank Group Archives Learning Program on Archives and Records Management in Development.
Archives New Zealand
Archives New Zealand offers guidance and advice on records and archives management within the public sector. The Archives New Zealand website includes information on Training offered by Archives New Zealand, resources relating to the Community Archive [formerly NRAM], and links to standards and guidelines developed by Archives New Zealand, being best practice, that can be utilised by any archive or records collection,
The ARES Forum (Archives and Records Education Stakeholders) was held in Melbourne on 12-13 June 2003. The Forum was organised by the Australian Society of Archivists (ASA) and the Records Management Association of Australasia (RMAA). ARANZ was invited to attend and also contributed a paper to the forum.
The aims of the Forum are:
- To ensure that all stakeholders understand the current environment for professional education,
- To ensure that stakeholders understand each others' views on education,
- To develop a shared agenda for professional education which will benefit all stakeholders,and
- To develop a list of actions for implementation which will sustain professional education which is valued by all stakeholders.
Among the papers presented are a number particularly worthy of specific recommendation for their potential interest to New Zealanders interested in archives and records education. These are accessible through the ASA or RMAA
Access and Partnerships: Issues in Professional Education. Karen Anderson. Edith Cowan University.
Content Analysis of Recordkeeping Job Advertisements: Knowledge and Skills required by Employers. Margaret Pember. Curtin University of Technology.
ARES Forum: Issues Relating to Tertiary Education Sector. Sue McKemmish. Monash University.
Gaining Knowledge and Expanding the Skill Base: the professional development of New Zealand's records managers. Amanda Cossham & Gillian Oliver. Open Polytechnic of New Zealand.