SCHOOLS SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP
- To encourage collaboration between school archivists on issues of common interest.
- To promote the value of school records and archives.
- To advocate for the protection of school records and archives, and for improved access to school archives collections.
- To promote education and training suitable for school archivists.
- To organise a School Archivists SIG meeting at the annual ARANZ conferences, and to encourage other activities likely to further aims (1), (2) and (3).
School Archives Workshop
The Auckland School Archives workshop has been held annually since 1990. The aim is to provide a training and networking opportunity for those working in or setting up a school archives, including state and independent schools. We have a programme that is suitable for beginners and more experienced archivists and we try to cover a basic range of useful topics from operating in the school environment, documentation and cataloguing, storage and preservation, electronic recordkeeping demands, and displays and promotion. We have speakers from within school archives and from the wider recordkeeping and conservation community. The intention is to provide training that maintains professional standards while recognising the funding and space limitations that most schools encounter. The workshop is held in a different school each year which gives the participants a chance to see a range of what is currently in action. In the last 3 years we have had Friday (preceding the workshop) afternoon visits to available archives such as church and Archives New Zealand. The workshop is usually held towards the end of term 1. School archivists from anywhere in NZ are welcome. The cost for 2009 will be $30 per person and the workshop will be held at Mt Albert Grammar School. The programme goes out by the end of term 4. The group includes about 50 schools.
Minutes of the SIG
- School Records Retention and Disposal Schedule. This lists the records that must be retained by State and State Integrated Schools.
- Ministry of Education Circular about the retention and disposal schedule.
- Guide to the Public Records Act - this includes a handy compliance checklist
The current convenor of the SIG is Christine Black, Archivist, St Cuthbert’s College, P O Box 26 020, Epsom, Auckland 1344. Christine's email is email@example.com