Kia ora tātou,
May this message find you all well and safe as we all try to manage the current situation brought about by the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic. As you are all aware, the situation has affected all aspects of our lives including the activities in our association, ARANZ and Council deem it appreciate to update you on the various ways COVID-19 has impacted us. Members of the council have been meeting online and continue to hold meetings and have regular discussions about the future of our association and arrangement for various activities.
ARANZ 2020 conference
The main activity for this year is our 2020 Conference in Dunedin. The Conference Committee in Dunedin has been working very hard with the council and all stakeholders, including international speakers from the UK and Australia and the Governor-General of New Zealand. Everything was working as planned until New Zealand was put on Alert 4 and the government put the country under lockdown, bringing every physical activity to a halt. As a result:
- All international keynote speakers from the UK and Australia have stopped their travel plans to New Zealand, because New Zealand borders are closed, and their own countries are facing similar situations.
- The conference was going to be sponsored by the Victoria University, Archives New Zealand and the Open Polytechnic of New Zealand. Discussions between the conference committee were far advanced. But now, all these institutions are closedown and are unable to continue to hold discussions with the conference committee.
- Even though September is still far away, and situations may change, a whole month of activity has affected the planning of the conference significantly.
Postponement of ARANZ 2020 conference
- Following the reasons above, ARANZ Council has decided to postpone this year’s conference.
- We are monitoring the situation with the hope that everything will return to normalcy so that we may be able to hold it at the same time next year – September 2021.
- If the situation does not change and we are not able to hold the conference next year, we will update you.
The way forward
- ARANZ holds its AGM every year to render an account of activities of the association to members.
- This year, we planned to hold our AGM as part of the conference.
- Even though the conference has been postponed, ARANZ Council still needs to render accounts to you through an AGM.
- We are considering several options to benefit every member, including the possibility of any of the following :
- Online AGM, or
- A talk event (face-to-face) on a topic for different speakers to talk and then follow it up with the AGM
- More information about this will be provided later. But, feel to let us know what you think.
Keep well and safe, stay inside your bubble and avoid COVID-19.
Nāku noa, nā
President - ARANZ